But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking. - Matthew 6:7
While there is no such thing as the correct prayer, the attitude of prayer is important. God is not concerned with how eloquent we sound. He is concerned with the meekness of our hearts. Effective prayer is prayer that seeks the face of God above our own desires, and puts the needs of others above our own.
We here at International Prayer Center believe firmly that the Lord’s Prayer, as he dictated to his disciples is the ultimate guideline for believers today. However, it serves exactly as that…a guideline.
- I asked for strength that I might achieve;
- He made me weak that I might obey.
- I asked for health that I might do greater things;
- I was given grace that I might do better things.
- I asked for riches that I might be happy;
- I was given poverty that I might be wise.
- I asked for power that I might have the praise of men;
- I was given weakness that I might feel the need of God.
- I asked for all things that I might enjoy life;
- I was given life that I might enjoy all things.
- I recieved nothing that I asked for, all that I hoped for.
- My prayer was answered, I was most blessed